Enjoy Asian’s favorite street food at home! This Adobong Paa nang Manok or Chicken Feet Adobo packs amazing texture and complex flavor. A delicious delicacy to enjoy on its own as an appetizer or a main dish with piping-hot steamed rice.
Like tongue, blood, and offal, chicken paws are, understandably, an acquired taste. Gnawing on feet is definitely difficult to get past. Nails, calluses, walking on muddy fields…ewww, right?
But believe me, once you get over the cringe factor, you’ll agree that they’re probably the best part of the chicken. Prepared and cooked right, chicken feet are the most delectable morsel that walked (pun intended) the earth!
They’re not especially meaty, but they bring complex flavor and are rich in good-for-you gelatin!
Preparing chicken feet
The chicken paws sold in the U.S. are usually cleaned off their hard, outer skin so there’s no peeling needed. However, make sure to follow the preparation below to improve the dining experience!
- Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, trim the nails and discard.
- Check the soft pads of the feet and cut off any dark, callused areas with a knife.
- Scrub well with rock salt and rinse well.
- The paws can be prepared ahead of time and will keep well in the freezer for up to 6 months. Store in an airtight container or resealable bag.
- Boil the chicken feet first for about 5 minutes and then drain well to remove any excess protein and impurities.
- Simmer in vinegar, soy sauce, and aromatics until tenderize and infuse flavor.
- Braise in the reserved liquid until sauce is thick and reduced.
- Add chili garlic sauce for a hint of spice.
How to serve
- Enjoy this adobong paa nang manok as an appetizer with your favorite party drinks or as a main dish with steamed rice.
- Allow leftovers to cool completely and transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for up to 3 days; the sauce will congeal when chilled due to the gelatin content from the bones.
- Reheat in a saucepot over medium-low heat or in the microwave at 2 to 3-minute intervals until completely warmed through.
- Arroz Caldong Paa ng Manok